Ground oats and walnuts make a great substitute for breadcrumbs in this healthy crusted chicken recipe, which is served with a vibrant peperonata.
- 75g jumbo oats
- 50g walnuts, toasted in a dry pan
- 1½tbsp dried oregano
- 4 x 125g skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 480g jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- Chopped fresh flatleaf parsley and lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the oats, walnuts and ½tbsp of the oregano in a food processor and pulse to a crumb-like texture. Transfer to a large flat plate.
- Put each chicken breast between 2 pieces of non-stick baking paper and flatten with a rolling pin until roughly 1.5cm thick. Put the eggs in a shallow bowl. Dip the chicken into the egg, then the walnut mixture, then transfer to a large baking sheet. Spray with oil.
- Spray a large saucepan with oil, then fry the onion over a medium heat for 6–8 min until soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 min, then add the tomatoes, peppers and remaining oregano. Cook for 15 min, stirring often. Season with black pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the chicken for 2–3 min on each side until golden (in 2 batches if needed). Return them to the baking sheet, then bake in the oven for 12 min, turning once, until cooked through. Slice the chicken, then serve with the peperonata, garnished with parsley and lemon wedges to squeeze over.