These veggie burgers with satay sauce make for a quick and easy midweek meal – and contain far fewer calories than a traditional burger.
- 4 shop-bought vegetarian burgers (we used Gosh! veggie burgers, available from Morrisons, Ocado and Tesco)
- 50g mixed salad leaves
- 4 medium wholegrain rolls, halved
- 2tbsp unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 40g alfalfa sprouts, or a punnet
- salad cress
- Cook the burgers according to the pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, put all the ingredients for the satay sauce in a small pan, along with 3tbsp water. Heat gently, stirring for 4–5 min until thickened, adding an extra 1tbsp water if the sauce becomes too thick. Set aside.
- Put some salad leaves on the base of each roll, then top with a burger. Top with satay sauce, peanuts, carrot and alfalfa sprouts or salad cress, then add the top halves and serve immediately.