Enjoy these quinoa veggie burgers as a healthier alternative to a traditional burger – pair with salad and roasted vegetables for a tasty, nutritious meal.
- 100g quinoa
- 1tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- 225g flat mushrooms, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 1 small courgette, grated
- Cooking spray oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- ¼tsp crushed red chilli flakes
- 25g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 225g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 6 wholemeal rolls, halved and toasted
- 1 tub salad cress
- 1/3 cucumber, thickly sliced
- For the yogurt sauce
- 175g 2% fat Greek-style yogurt
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Put the quinoa and stock powder into a pan, add 250ml boiling water, return to the boil and cover. Reduce to a very gentle simmer for 15 min. Turn off and leave for 15 min, before uncovering and cooling.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: combine the yogurt, parsley, capers and garlic in a medium bowl. Season with black pepper, cover and put in the fridge.
- Pulse the mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped, then transfer to a bowl. Squeeze excess moisture from the grated courgette. Add to the mushrooms.
- Spray a large frying pan with oil and put on a medium heat. Add the shallot and chilli flakes and cook for about 2 min until softened. Add the mushrooms and courgette and cook for 4 min or until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl and add the parmesan and quinoa; season with black pepper. Leave to cool completely, then stir in the egg and breadcrumbs. Cover and chill for 1 hr or until firm.
- Shape the mixture into six 2cm thick patties, pressing firmly. Heat a large non-stick griddle pan with spray oil over a medium heat and cook in batches for 3 min on each side or until golden brown. Spread the rolls with the sauce, then sandwich with the burgers, cress and cucumber.