Enjoy these healthy vegetarian burgers guilt-free. Easy to make and ready in only 20 minutes, they’re great any night of the week.
- 3 seeded wholemeal bread rolls
- 400g can mixed beans in water, drained
- 210g can chickpeas in water, drained
- 1 egg
- 5tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 2tsp jerk spice mix
- Zest and juice 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Cooking oil spray
- ½ small aubergine, cut into 5mm thick slices
- 1 red pepper, cut into wide strips
- 1 courgette, cut into 5mm thick slices
- 4tbsp reduced-fat hummus
- 50g rocket
- 4tsp hot chilli sauce
- Whiz 1 of the bread rolls in a food processor to make crumbs. Add the beans, chickpeas, egg, coriander, jerk spice, lime zest and juice and garlic. Whiz until coarse, then wet your hands and shape the mixture into 4 even burgers. (If making ahead, put the burgers in a freezerproof container in the freezer now, then thaw before completing the recipe).
- Spray the burgers all over with oil. Set a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat or heat a barbecue to medium, then cook the burgers for 2–3 min on each side.
- Meanwhile, set a large griddle pan over a high heat. Spray the aubergine, pepper and courgette with oil, then griddle for 2 min on each side or until lightly charred. Or cook on the barbecue.
- Cut the remaining rolls in half and top each half with hummus, the griddled or barbecued veg, a bean burger and rocket. Serve drizzled with chilli sauce.