Serve this vegetarian tomato quiche slice filled with kale, carrots and a kick of chilli for a healthier picnic or packed lunch.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 100g kale, chopped
- 8 medium eggs
- 3tbsp skimmed milk
- 3tbsp chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 30g grated vegetarian parmesan-style cheese
- Olive oil spray
- 1tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 250g cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion, chilli, garlic and red pepper for 5–6 min until softened. Add the carrot and stir-fry for 2 min. Add the kale and stir-fry for 1–2 min to wilt.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Stirin the herbs and half the cheese. Season with pepper.
- Heat the oven to 190ºC/fan 170°C/ gas 5. Line a 2 litre rectangular baking dish with non-stick baking paper and spray with oil. Scatter the veginto the dish, then pour over the egg mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the seeds.
- Bake for 20–25 min until set. Put the tomatoes in a small baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, spray with oil and bake alongside for 10 min. Serve on top of the slice.