Baked eggs and asparagus is a winning combination. We’ve cooked them in a creamy, cheesy sauce with wilted spinach in this easy recipe that’s great for a low-calorie lunch or dinner.
- 350g asparagus, cut into 2cm pieces
- 125g baby spinach
- 100g extra-light soft cheese (we used Lightest Philadelphia)
- 1½tbsp vegetarian basil pesto
- 8 eggs
- 400g mixed baby tomatoes, halved
- 100g olive bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3tbsp fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Put the asparagus in a heatproof bowl, cover and microwave for 2 min or until just tender, then add the spinach and heat for a further 30 sec or until wilted (or use a steamer). Divide the veg among 4 x 400–500ml shallow ovenproof dishes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cheese with 2tbsp water and the pesto, then pour into the dishes to cover the veg. Make 2 small indents in the mixture in each dish, then crack 2 eggs into each. Bake for 20 min or until the egg whites are set.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, bread, onion, balsamic vinegar and half the basil in a medium salad bowl. Season with ground black pepper, toss gently to combine, then garnish with the remaining basil. Serve alongside the baked green eggs.