These indulgent chocolate jaffa cupcakes, made with the zest and juice of an orange, are rich and zingy – perfect with tea or as a dessert.
- 60g low-fat table spread
- 100g caster sugar with stevia
- Finely grated zest 1 orange, plus 4tbsp juice
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 175g gluten-free plain flour
- 2½tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 50g ground almonds
- 40g cocoa powder, sifted, mixed to a paste with 4tbsp boiling water
- For the icing
- 60g icing sugar, sifted
- 2tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1tsp finely grated orange zest
- 4–5tsp orange juice
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Put all the cake ingredients in a large bowl, then whisk with an electric mixer for 2–3 min until smooth and well combined.
- Divide the cake batter among the cupcake cases, then bake for 15–18 min until the cupcakes are just firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly in the tin, then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. If freezing, put the cupcakes in a sealed container at this point and freeze. Thaw before completing the recipe.
- Mix all the icing ingredients together in a bowl until smooth, then spread the mixture over the cupcakes.
Nutrition per serving
352kcal 6.8g 23.9g 4g 1.6g 19g 0.7g 63mg 27.1g 0.6mg