With just a few small changes we’ve turned this classic Italian spaghetti carbonara into a healthier creamy pasta recipe that’s perfect for any night of the week.
- 50g wholewheat spaghetti
- 80g frozen peas
- Cooking oil spray
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 fresh basil sprigs, chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 50g cooked skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 egg
- 4tbsp fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- 1tbsp grated parmesan
- 1tsp toasted flaked almonds
- Cook the spaghetti in unsalted boiling water according to the pack instructions, adding the peas for the final 1 min. Drain, keeping 4tbsp of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, spray a non-stick frying pan with oil, then add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3–4 min until golden. Stir in the tomatoes, basil and chicken.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and peas to the frying pan, toss to heat through, then take off the heat.
- Beat the egg with the yogurt in a bowl until combined, then toss with the spaghetti. Add some of the reserved cooking water to thin the sauce, if necessary. Serve scattered with the parmesan and toasted almonds, garnished with the extra basil sprigs.