The butternut squash in this hearty soup is packed with antioxidants such as beta-carotene, and the cannellini beans are a source of lean protein.
- 1tbsp light olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 600ml very low salt vegetable stock
- ½ x 400g can cannellini beans in water, drained
- 2tbsp fat-free Greek yogurt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan (that has a lid) over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 min or until softened. Add the squash, carrot, garlic, ginger and nutmeg, if using. Stir and continue to cook for a few min. Add the stock and bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover the pan with the lid and simmer for about 20 min or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then blend the soup until smooth using a blender, food processor or stick blender.
- Return the soup to the pan, then add the beans and heat through. Divide the soup between 2 bowls, season with pepper and top with a dollop of Greek yogurt to serve.