Egg and mushrooms on toast is a classic breakfast or lunch. Try this recipe when you want a low calorie, high protein meal or snack.
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 eggs
- 2tbsp grated vegetarian parmesan-style cheese
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- Handful baby spinach
- Fresh chives, snipped, to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Put the mushrooms in the tray, stem-side up, and bake for 15 min.
- At the same time, grease 2 ramekins with spray oil, then crack an egg into each one. Sprinkle with the parmesan, then bake for 15 min with the mushrooms or until cooked.
- Toast the bread, then top each with spinach and a mushroom. Loosen the eggs from the ramekins, then place on top of the mushrooms. Sprinkle with the chives and black pepper to serve.